IRS Volunteer Tax Assistance and Counseling Services
Not everyone needs a paid tax pro for their tax needs. That may be because the forms they file are fairly simple or because their income numbers are nominal or they have limited assets to account for. No matter what your needs, there is no reason to not have access to useful and necessary information.
That's why the IRS Volunteer Tax Assistance and Counseling Services exist. Here is what you need to know:
- The IRS Sponsors them - very important to know; it's not a scam.
- There are income requirements: $49,000 a year or less.
- You can e-file for free through them
- The representative volunteers are specially trained in helping people with special credits such as Earned Income Credit, the Child Tax Credit, or the Credit for the Elderly.
- Many of these volunteer sites have language specialists to help you if you have limited English language skills.
- There are more than 12,000 sites nationwide so there is bound to be one close to you.
- They have an AARP partnership for assistance for more mature tax filers.
- The also partner with the Armed Forces Tax Council on behalf of military families and their tax needs.
- You can find your nearest VITA Site by calling 1-800-906-9887